Please rotate your device to view this page.

  • People Needing Support
  • Friends/Family Needing Support
  • South Western Sydney Mental Health Directory
  • A South Western Sydney Mental Health Resource

    People Needing Support

    Mental Health Professionals

    Other Allied Health Professionals

    Click on any of the buttons below to view more information

    What do they do?

    What do they do?

    There are other allied health professionals that help people with mental health concerns. Two of the most common include Social Workers and Occupational Therapists.

    Mental Health Social Workers help individuals to resolve psychological difficulties, and the associated social and other environmental problems, and improve their quality of life. Social workers recognise the broader implications on an individual living with a mental illness and the impact on friends, family, work and education (Reference: Australian Association of Social Workers).

    Occupational Therapists assess and treat people who, due to illness or injury are limited in their ability to undertake everyday activities. They assist people to regain lost functions, develop their abilities and social skills, as well as maintain and promote independence in their everyday lives to enhance health and wellbeing (Reference: Occupational Therapy Australia).

    How can they help?

    How can they help?

    A Social Worker can provide therapy, casework, advocacy, mediation or group-work to individuals, couples, or families to address difficulties associated with mental illness. They also provide people with information about services that can assist them (Reference:jobs guide).

    An Occupational Therapist can conduct tests to assess functional, psychological, and physical capabilities, plan therapeutic programmes for individuals and design activities that improve an affected function, and help individuals to regain personal care skills and  assist people to gain or regain skills in social, leisure and work environments through graded individual or group therapy and activity programmes (Reference: jobs guide).

    How do I find one?

    How do I find one?

    Ask your GP for a referral or to access a directory see below:

    Australian Association of Social Workers – Find a Social Worker 

    Occupational Therapy Australia – Find a Private Practice OT